Thursday, February 10, 2005

Piercings and other holes in my head...

For the first time in a long time, my husband and I seem to be experiencing a complete difference of philosphy - all over our 14 year old's two piercings. He is really mad that I have allowed her to get them - she has one in her tongue and one that looks like the Marilyn Monroe mole just over her lip. Let her get them, I actually paid for them. He thinks that I am being reckless and irresponsible which I think is so far off the mark its not even funny. I am having a hard time reconciling why he is having such difficulties with it actually. He is the original rebel, the black sheep, the one who mocked his parent's authority or attempt at it, the one who left home at the same age as our daughter is now. So when did he change? And why haven't I?

Just because I am near 41, I don't believe that my philosphy on life or my outlook needs to change - I don't think that this is necessary. If piercings had been around when I was her age, you better believe that I would have been the first to get one. I mean I was the first one in my highschool to get my ear's pierced a second time. I was the first one to colour my hair, the first one to get a tatoo. Now remember this was almost 27 years ago and a lot has changed since then but I know that I haven't. I will always be the rebel at heart and I know that I will always encourage my daughter to as well. There are far too few of her generation capable of original thought that I am not going to be the one to discourage this in her. Why Jim seems to want to is a real mystery to me and an issue that I am having a hard time adjusting to. For the first time in our 27 years together, I am actually questioning whether I really know him or not. And I am pretty torn up about the whole thing.

No comments: